Call any of our offices to make a referral for treatment.
NorthEast Health Services
Phone: (508) 880-6666
NorthEast Health Services
Middleboro Counseling
Phone: (508) 947-6100
Duxbury Counseling Services
Phone: (781) 934-6226
Duxbury Counseling Services
Phone: (508) 830-1444
The Family Counseling Center
Phone: (508) 586-2660
Cape Behavioral Health Center
Phone: (508) 862-0514
Attleboro Behavioral Health
Phone: (508) 409-0000
Northeast Health Services - Pembroke Center
Phone: (781) 312 1393
FAQ on mental health and mental health services:
Where can I find information on mental health disorders?
The following websites may be helpful when looking for information on mental health disorders:
American Psychiatric Association --- http://www.psych.org/
American Psychological Association --- http://www.apa.org/
National Alliance for the Mentally Ill --- http://www.nami.org/
National Institute of Mental Health --- http://www.nimh.nih.gov/
How can I get treatment for a family member who is mentally ill, yet is refusing treatment?
People generally have the right to consent to and/or refuse treatment. Under certain conditions, such as when a person is considered to be a threat to themselves or to others, he or she may be required to seek treatment. This can include involuntary civil commitment and/or forced medication. Laws about commitment vary by state. Contact your State Protection and Advocacy program if you have questions about the commitment process in your state.
FAQ on mental health and substance abuse health insurance:
How can I get mental health services? Whom should I contact about receiving these services?
Call your insurance plan and ask for a verbal and written description of what coverage is provided for mental health treatments. Many insurers offer coverage for mental health services and/or substance abuse treatments.
Your employer may offer an employee assistance program, or EAP. An employee assistance program is a resource provided either as part of, or separate from, employer-sponsored health insurance plans. Generally, EAP visits are free of charge. With EAPís, the number of visits may be limited. Preventive care measures such as mental health or substance abuse screenings are provided.
An EAP may not include all services, but many EAPís provide aid to employees and their families for depression, stress, substance abuse and other mental health illnesses. Visits that occur within an employee assistance program are kept confidential and not discussed with employers.
If you do not have access to an EAP or employer-sponsored health insurance, you may qualify for Medicare and/or Medicaid services. To determine eligibility for Medicare/Medicaid and other government programs, contact the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, http://www.cms.gov/, at 1-877-267-2323 (TDD: 1-866-226-1819) and your State's department of insurance.
Information on your state's mental health programs can be found at http://www.nasmhpd.org/members.cfm.
What can I expect from my insurance plan?
Health insurance coverage for mental health and substance abuse benefits differs among plans, employers and states.  In general, mental health benefits are not as extensive as medical benefits and require higher deductibles and co-payments.
The following list provides common types of managed care health insurance plans:
  • Health Maintenance Organization (HMO) - A plan that provides a selected set of health care services from doctors or health care providers within its network.
  • Fee-for-Service (FFS) - A health plan in which consumers may use any health care provider they choose. Providers are paid a fee for each health care service performed; the plan will either pay the doctors directly or will reimburse you for the cost of the service after you have filed an insurance claim. Fee-for-service plans are a type of indemnity insurance.
  • Preferred Provider Organizations (PPO) - Often referred to as fee-for-service plans. PPO's differ from FFS plans in that they use a network of providers and usually charge lower fees.
When should I use mental health or substance abuse services?
You may want to seek mental health treatment if stress, interpersonal tension or job-related tension is interfering with your day to day life.  You may also want to seek treatment if a medical condition is causing you mental anguish.  If constant use of legal or illegal substances is negatively affecting your health and/or your daily life, you should also seek treatment for substance abuse. You should seek care as soon as possible.  Mental health problems are just as treatable as medical problems.
Whom will I see when I seek mental health treatment?
When you seek treatment, you will see a variety of health care professionals.
The qualified practitioners that you may see during the course of your treatment include the following:
  • Clinical psychologist: a professional with a doctoral degree in psychology 
  • Psychiatrist: a professional who completed medical school and training in psychiatry; a specialist in diagnosing and treating mental illness; prescribes medication.
  • Clinical social worker or mental health counselor: a professional with an advanced degree in social work or counseling psychology; provides services for the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of mental disorders.
©2009 NorthEast Health Services